There is a reason that you came here looking for the best beach carts and wagons for the sand.
You’re probably sick of lugging a ton of gear over your back as you slug down the beach to your favorite spot, all while trying to keep the kids from running off.
Maybe you frequent a larger beach and you’re sick of having to take multiple trips to the car and back just to get all of your essential beach items to your favorite spot.
Do you want something that can easily transport all of your favorite fun-in-the-sun items, such as your cooler, towels, and games, easily down to the shoreline?
If that’s the case, you’re in the right place! We’re going to be telling you all about our top choice for beach carts and wagons so you can stop stressing and start relaxing!
The 15 Best Bets
Our #1 Pick - Mac Sports Heavy Duty Wagon
When you have a ton of stuff to carry, the Mac Sports Heavy Duty Wagon can be very useful. The extra large wheels on the wagon allow you to easily haul the cart over sand.
The wagon itself has a pretty large capacity that is 36.2” x 21.4” x 24.6”. When folded up, it ends up being only 9.7” thick with dimensions of 31.5” x 21.4” x 9.7”. This is great for compact storage! When it comes to pulling around a heavy load, the frame supports up to 150lbs.
For a little added fun, they put in two mesh cup holders to keep your beverages safe. The basket is made of durable 600-denier fabric and the frame is made from heavy-duty steel. They also very nicely included a convenient carrying case.
- Big wheels for ease of use on different terrain
- Super lightweight
- Can’t be folded with cup in the holder
Mac Sports Collapsible Folding Utility Wagon
We all love a great beach day. Unfortunately, lugging your stuff over hot sand can be annoying and unpleasant. Thankfully, the Mac Sports Collapsible Folding Utility Wagon helps to solve that problem! Easily fit your coolers, chairs, and whatever else you can think of, into this wagon.
The rubber wheels, while not as large as the heavy-duty model, will still roll easily over sand, gravel, and most other light terrain. The wagon can easily be folded to only 8” thick and comes with an adjustable handle to easily transport around. It has a weight capacity of 150lbs.
The frame is a steel structure and the dimensions are 32.5” x 17.5” x 10.5”.
- Compact and collapsible
- Heavy-duty build
- Cannot turn handle
- Handle height might be uncomfortable to pull if you’re tall
- Thin wheels may get stuck in deep sand
Ollieroo Outdoor Utility Beach Wagon
Similar to the other wagons, this one is great as well! The Ollieroo Outdoor Utility Wagon can carry up to 150lbs and has a 34.3” x 17.3” x 10.2” storage space.
You can easily place a few beach chairs, a small cooler, and some beach games inside. You can fold and fit it inside its dedicated bag very easily when it comes to storing it away. Further, the 600D polyester is very simple to clean and the frame is made from black powder coated steel.
This beach cart is perfect for the sand, the park, gardening, camping, and anything outdoors. The 7” x 4” thick rubber wheels are very heavy-duty as well. Everything together weighs about 23lbs.
- Heavy-duty rubber wheels
- Handle is perfect for people of all sizes
- Folds up flat
- Dimensions aren’t as large as the Mac Sports Wagons
- Wheels can get stuck in deep sand
Rio Brands Deluxe Wonder Wheeler Wide
For a beach cart with some back wheel power, the Rio Brands Deluxe Wonder Wheeler Wide is what you need. With this cart, you can transport a 48-quart cooler, 4 chairs, and other miscellaneous items, easily.
This is more than a beach cart, as the wide back wheels will work well on all terrain. The cart is constructed with a sturdy steel frame and a heavy-duty mesh fabric. For ease of keeping it moving, it comes equipped with a comfortable neoprene handle and pivoting front wheels.
Though not in the most practical way, the wheels do detach if necessary. This cart is 20% larger than the original Wonder Wheeler and can hold up to 100lbs at a time.
- Has separate pockets for tons of different items
- Bigger back wheels roll easily over sand
- Front wheels are a bit low quality
Tommy Bahama All Terrain Beach Cart
For a great beach cart from a trusted beach brand that can move through light sand, you should definitely look at the Tommy Bahama All Terrain Beach Cart.
The weight capacity of the cart is 100lbs. The dual front wheels can be steered and it has a powder coated steel frame and cushioned handle that make it very easy to pull. The open dimensions of the cart are 27” x 32” x 31”.
The cart also comes with a little umbrella holder stitched to the side. The wide back wheels roll quite well with your load on them.
- Large storage space allows for up to 4 chairs
- Easy to fold
- Front wheels are cheap and weak in deeper sand
- Mesh bag may rip if not careful
Rio Brands Deluxe Wonder Wheeler
The Rio Brands Deluxe Wonder is an excellent choice for a beach cart for many reasons! With its all-terrain design, you can easily tote your stuff from the car to the sand in no time.
When it’s all set up, it has the ability to hold a 48-quart cooler, up to 4 chairs, and whatever other small gear you might have. The dimensions are 32” x 26.5” x 41.5” and it is constructed with an aluminum frame and a large mesh pouch.
Some of the additional features include a side umbrella holder and a removable tote bag.
- Lots of capacity
- Different pouches for specific uses
- Rolls well on soft sand
- Wheels get stuck in deeper sand
BeachMall Wide Wheel Beach Cart
For another solid and classic beach cart, the people over at BeachMall have done well. The BeachMall Wide Wheel Beach Cart can help you get the job done with its efficient and quality build.
The large cargo area can hold up to 4 chairs and a large cooler and can support up to 77lbs. The ultra wide back wheels are fixed in place while the front wheels move freely.
You have an extended neoprene handle that makes pulling the cart a breeze, though it may be too tall for the little ones. The embroidered back pocket is great for all of your smaller beach essentials and you also have the option to throw on a bodyboard holder at purchase.
This cart folds up nice and easy for storage too.
- Lightweight and portable
- Comes with umbrella holder
- Folds up easily
- Front wheels are kind of weak
BeachMall Beach Cart w/ Folding Table
One of the most interesting beach carts on our list is the BeachMall Beach Cart w/ Folding Table. With this beach cart that easily converts into a table, it’ll make any trip to the beach more practical.
The little cup holders and plates on top are nice addition. The cart comes with big snap on wheels and a simple neoprene handle. There is mesh bag for storing all of your miscellaneous items.
This durable beach cart has a weight capacity of up 75lbs and easily holds 4 chairs, umbrellas, and towels.
- The table on top is a cool addition
- Can be folded and stored easily
- Wide wheels can get through the sand
- Has the least storage capacity compared to other models
- When 4 chairs are on the cart, you can’t really put much else
Big Wheels (For Soft Sand)
Wheeleez Heavy Duty Beach Cart
For seriously heavy-duty or awkward loads, the Wheeleez Heavy Duty Beach Cart has 16.5” x 7.9” patented balloon wheels that will easily glide over sand, even when fully packed.
With a unique design compared to other carts, the tub is made from a high-density polyethylene. For the frame, Wheeleez took to Marine technology and uses Marine grade anodized aluminum with stainless steel hardware.
The handle is very strong, though unfortunately difficult to remove. The collapsed dimensions are 38” x 26” x 16” and the tub has a volume of about 3.5 cubic ft. You can fit a ton of stuff in here and easily roll it over any terrain. You can easily detach the wheels when you decide to store it as well.
- Heavy duty polyethylene
- Very effective oversized wheels
- High weight capacity
- Very expensive compared to other beach carts
- Handle is a funky design
Wheeleez Folding Beach Cart
For a simple, no frills beach cart, the Wheeleez Folding Beach Cart has just what you need to enjoy a solid beach day.
This heavy-duty foldable cart acts like a dolly and is an excellent choice for hauling all kinds of gear. The bottom platform is about 14” x 14” wide and deep. For everything it can carry, it can support up to around 165lbs. without failure.
The telescoping handle makes it easy to adjust to the correct height and fold and store when done. Even when it’s fully packed on, the thing glides over sand like a breeze due to the balloon wheels. Though the product doesn’t come with them, many suggest having bungee cords so that you can safely secure your items in place. Overall, the cart is extremely durable and will do just what you need it to!
- Nice big wheels glide over sand
- Very compact
- Easy to put together
- Need to buy bungee cords to secure items in
Big Wheel Beach Cart, 12" Balloon Tires
When you’re looking for the best of both worlds, the custom Big Wheel Beach cart can be very helpful. The wheels on this cart also have a balloon design to help glide easily over all terrains.
With that, you get 15 cubic ft. of storage that can be easily folded up for transport.
For pulling around tons of items such as beach chairs, umbrellas, or towels, it also comes equipped with a mesh bag, umbrella holder, and bottom rack. In all, it’s an excellent hybrid choice between the Wheeleez brand carts and the Wonder Wheeler carts.
- Big wheels on the back move through sand easily
- Lots of storage room for different items
- Mesh can be kind of weak
- Front wheels don’t roll through deep sand very well
Challenger Mobility Folding Beach Cart, Balloon Tires
Alright, so you don’t need all the fancy netting and storage space.
If you dig the Wheeleez Folding Beach Cart and want a slightly cheaper alternative, the Challenger Mobility might be perfect for you.
Easily fit on coolers or other large items and quickly roll it across the sand to your favorite spot. With the detachable balloon tires, you can get it over almost any terrain and then easily fold and store it when you’re finished. Again, you’ll probably want to buy a few bungees alongside this cart to make sure your stuff is secure.
The telescoping handle goes from 29” to 49”, which is awesome for people of all sizes to haul everything.
- Very easy to assemble
- Big balloon wheels glide across sand
- Strong steel frame
- Must have air supply to fill wheels
- No extra bags or storage space
Sea Striker BRSC Beach Cart
Are you an avid fisher that needs the perfect cart for your sport? Look no further than the Sea Striker BRSC cart.
This beach cart can carry up to 7 different rods with PVC pipe holders and holds up to a 54-quart cooler.
Unfortunately that is where the storage component ends, as it is mostly geared for small fishing trips. The metal frame is powdered coated and very durable. Though the plastic wheels aren’t the strongest, they’ll move easily over terrain because of their size.
- Handle height is good for all heights
- 7 rod holders
- Heavy frame
- Plastic wheels
Catalina Creations Folding Beach Chair & Cart Combo
The Catalina Creations Chair and Cart Combo is an excellent alternative to your standard beach cart as it can also be used as a chair.
You can easily move your stuff out on to the beach and then pop a squat to soak up some rays. When you aren’t sitting in it, there’s a surprising amount of room to load different items.
It weighs only 10lbs but can easily support up to 250lbs and the construction has an aluminum alloy anodized frame and double-walled nylon fabric. It also has an extra pocket for your small items and a cover to keep the sun out of your face if you want.
- All terrain tires
- Heavy weight capacity
- Built-in seat
- Chair is not the most comfortable and there is nowhere to rest your head
Rio Beach Cart & Table Combo
For a solid beach cart that you can also easily turn into a table, you’ll want to check out the Rio Beach Cart & Table Combo.
You can easily set up your snacks and drinks at the beach without having to worry about getting sand in them. It has minimal carrying capacity, so you’ll probably only be carrying around towels or other miscellaneous items.
The wheels do work very nicely in the sand however. The tabletop dimensions are 41” x 21” x 11” and is made from an aluminum/plastic composite. As an added touch, they decided to insulate the cup holder to keep drinks cold.
- Cart and table combo
- Rolls well in the sand
- Not that much carrying capacity
- Buyers have said wheels fall off easily
Why use a beach cart or wagon?
There are many reasons to buy a beach cart or wagon. Most people hate hauling all of their stuff to the beach. It’s even worse once you’ve had a long sunny day and now you need to haul it all the way back to your car. This is especially annoying since most of that stuff is shaped awkwardly and difficult to carry (aka beach chairs, umbrellas, coolers, etc.) They work better than regular carts as well, as they are made to be carried through sand and not be bogged down. They also are typically made with waterproof materials that won’t rust or wear when introduced to the elements. If you’re like us, and want to just make life a little easier where it should be, a beach cart or wagon is a great start!
What to consider when buying your beach cart or wagon
- Wheel Size
- If you are trying to get your beach cart or wagon over a long stretch of sand, it can sometimes be pretty hard. To make the task a bit more manageable, you’ll want to make sure your cart or wagon is equipped with the proper wheels. That being said, you’ll definitely want to shoot for the bigger wheels over the thin ones if you can afford them.
- This is something that might be important to some while not to others. For those of us that have smaller cars or homes and can’t provide the space for a giant beach cart, having one that can fold up and be easily stored is very important. It also makes transporting and carrying it much easier.
- Load Size
- Everyone has his or her own reasons for buying a beach cart. Even though most people don’t store a whole lot in their beach carts, you certainly don’t want to find that you’ve packed it too much on one day and the bottom gives out. Consider that you might want to pack a little more at one point and you’ll want that extra weight capacity. Also consider the amount of space you’ll need. Some just want to roll solo with a small cooler and a few towels while others have whole families who need multiple chairs and umbrellas.
- Pockets And Compartments
- Having extra pockets on your beach cart or wagon can be extremely useful. If you want to be able to easily store your phone, keys, wallet, sunscreen, sunglasses, etc., having extra spaces where they won’t get lost is ideal. It also just keeps everything safe and together so you don’t accidentally misplace anything.
- By type, we mean whether you want a wagon, a cart, a big wheel, a hybrid, or whatever else you can think of. Each of these has their pros and cons. Wagons are simple and durable; yet don’t have the best storage space. Carts are less durable, though you can store a ton. Big wheels are the best suited for the beach, though can be very expensive. Hybrids are in a world of their own and can have varying positives and negatives. Think of what you need most and what you can afford.
- Having something that is going to last you a long time is important if you don’t want to constantly be purchasing carts or wagons. Think about the kind of metal that is being used in your cart. Is it made out of steel? If so, it’ll rust much faster than something that is made out aluminum. Some carts are fabric material and, while they are much lighter, they are very weak. Your best bet is to go with a solid aluminum frame with fabric material, essentially a hybrid. If the frame is powder coated that is even better, as that means it will help slow the rate of rust when introduced to the elements.
- All while considering how strong you want your cart or wagon, you may not of thought about how easily you can stick it into your car. You want to make sure that you can fit your family, friends, and all their gear, in the car without crushing everything together. With all the dimensions and sizes thrown around, it can be difficult to judge what size is best. Definitely get a good measurement of your trunk to make sure that you can fit it in there easily with everything else.
- You’ll most likely want a handle that is collapsible, as it will make storage a lot easier. A good handle will also be able to maneuver the cart with ease and will be suitable for people of most heights. Lastly, having a handle that is comfortable to hold, such as one wrapped in neoprene, can make a huge difference when you’ve been lugging stuff around all day.
- Once you’ve considered a fair amount of things, it is time to think about the price. While it’s never safe to go cheap on something, you want to make sure that the specifications and features you desire are somewhat matched in the price. Look at reviews and don’t overpay for something you can get somewhere else.
- Typically, the more uneven the terrain, the better wheels you’ll need. Consider the sorts of terrain you’ll be moving on. How is the sand at your local beach? If it’s soft and easy to move through, you might not need a big wheel cart. However, if there are lots of rocks or you’re afraid of getting stuck in holes, getting one with bigger wheels might be your best bet. Also consider that you might want to bring your beach cart elsewhere, such as the park, the garden, or even camping.
- Going back to the materials a bit, after reading this, you’ll more than likely pick up a hybrid fabric cart. In that case, you’ll probably want something that you can easily clean. Your cart is bound to get dirty, and struggling to get the dirt off is not fun. If your cart has some sort of cleanable fabric such as nylon or polyester, it’s as simple as a little bit of soap and water.
- Storage Space
- This can come in a few different forms. You’ll want to be able to easily fold and unfold it to put it away and put it to use. The cart should occupy the smallest space it possibly can. Consider getting a cart that has detachable wheels. This can make a big difference when storing it in smaller spaces.
- Some beach carts and wagons come to your door in a myriad of little parts that can be very annoying to try and put together. Some manuals aren’t made very well either and can be confusing to some. If the product’s purpose is to easily store all of your beach goods, shouldn’t it be easy to put together? We think so. In that case, consider getting a cart that has a simple assembly. A lot of this can be found through customer reviews online and will be very helpful to you as a future beach cart / wagon owner.
List of Items Not to Forget In Your Cart
- Beach Towel
- Hat or Visor
- Book or Other Reading Materials
- Shirt or Cover Up
- Beach Toys
- Cell Phone
- First Aid Kit
- Buckets and Shovels
- Portable Speaker
- Beach Games
- Water Shoes
Frequently Asked Questions
What are balloon wheels?
Wheeleez is known for the original balloon wheel, and though you can find them on many different products now, they still have the best. The material is strong and durable polyurethane that is mended on with a soldering iron. They are then blown up like a balloon using an air pump and attached to things such as carts, wagon, walkers, or even wheelchairs. These are easily some of the strongest wheels you’ll find on beach carts.
Can I roll my kids in these beach carts?
While some of them are able to hold a ton weight, you need to consider that you will probably distribute most of that weight evenly. When your kid is inside the cart, they will probably want to move and shuffle around. This can be dangerous and can make the cart tip over very easily. There are many reviews where people ask about their children being in these carts and many stating that they had to find out the answer the hard way. We’re warning you now because it is something that is easily overlooked.
What is the most effective way to pack my beach cart or wagon?
You should definitely start by laying out all of the items you want to bring to the beach so you can get a good idea of what kind of space you’ll need before throwing everything in. For starters, many beach carts come with little side pockets or compartments that are perfect for things like wallets, glasses, cellphones, or anything you want to be easily accessible. After that, you’ll want to make sure that the heaviest things go into the main storage compartment first. That will most likely be something such as a cooler. You can then place items like towels or blankets on top of that. Next, place your smaller items around that. This might be a book, sandals, games, food, toys, etc. Once that is all done, the umbrella should go on top or in its own compartment. You won’t want to damage it by throwing anything on top of it by accident.
Is it possible to build my own beach cart?
Absolutely! If you’re the type of person who is all DIY or maybe wants to save a little bit of cash, building a beach cart can be a fun and easy activity! All you need are the proper parts. Our favorite beach cart build that we’ve seen is this one right here:
Go check it out and have fun building!
Our Conclusion and Final Thoughts
So at this point, it’s pretty easy to say that you have just about all the information you need to pick the best beach cart or wagon for you. You’ve read through our reviews and know what to look for. Hopefully, we’ve simplified the process beyond belief so that you can find something that suits your needs best. The beach carts and wagons that we chose are definitely the most convenient ones we have found on the market when it comes to soft sand carts and wagons. From small weight capacity to large, we tried to find the best for every different situation. We also tried to keep it in an inexpensive price range, as we believe you shouldn’t have to spend over $500 for a product like this. Your beach trips will now be a lot more fun without all that weight on your shoulders!