The portable shower was originally designed for campers who needed a comfortable time bathing while staying in the great outdoors. It didn’t take long before surfers started seeing the benefits of owning one too! After all, only a surfer knows the feeling of sticky salt water drying on skin after a long session. With a portable shower, you can easily feel refreshed and ready to take on the next part of your day.
- 1 Why use a portable shower when surfing?
- 2 List of the Best Portable Showers for Surfing
- 3 How do you use a portable shower for surfing?
- 4 How to make a portable shower DIY for surfing or camping?
Why use a portable shower when surfing?
Many of us surfers don’t have the liberty of time to take a hot shower after a cold surf. Contrary to the surfer bum image, a lot of us actually have jobs. If you are one of those weekday warriors sneaking in a surf sesh before work, then prepare to change your life with a portable shower.
If you are a cold-water surfer, all the more should you invest in a portable shower. You can control the temperature of the water in these portable showers so your dream of jumping into a hot bath right after a chilly session will finally come true. It will also do wonders for your health as your muscles will loosen up and you will avoid tearing them further.
Having a portable shower will also make it easy for you to rinse off your gear: from surfboard, leash, wetsuit to fins. This will increase the value of your surf gear because they are being preserved each time they are given a proper fresh water rinse-off. Imagine never having to make a mess in your bathtub again.
On top of enriching your overall surf trip experience, they are also not that expensive.
List of the Best Portable Showers for Surfing
The RinseKit Portable sprayer is easily the most well known portable shower in the market today because of the companies high-pressurized system that effectively rinses off just about anything. Its spray nozzle has 7 different settings from jet stream to soaking shower.
- Fills in 20 seconds
- No batteries needed
- Holds up to 2 gallons (7.5 liters) of water
- For hot and cold water
- One-handed carrying
- Bucket comes with built-in ruler to measure fish
The Ecotemp L5 Portable Tankless Water Heater and Shower is a class of its own. If you want endless hot water in an instant, this dependable machine is for you. Its “D” cell batteries powers its water pump longer than any other portable shower in the market. Not only can you take a shower with it, you can also wash your car or boat!
- 1 year manufacturer’s warranty
- No electricity needed
- On/off shower head included
- Garden hose adapter included
- 1.5 GPM flow capacity
- Manual water temperature controls
- 14.5” tall, 11.5” wide, 4.5” deep
The Nemo Helio™ Pressure Shower comes with an easy-to-use foot pump that can draw you up to 2.9 gallons (11 liters) of water. It can provide you with fresh water at a stable pressure for up to six minutes.
- Foot pump reduces risk of over inflation
- Comes with spray nozzle, pump and carrying case
- Safety strap ensures no overfilling
- Great for showering and bathing pets
The Ivation Handheld Portable Shower turns water from a bucket or body of water into a steady and stable stream. It is powered by a built-in rechargeable 2200mAh battery. It also has an active filtration system that will filter out most types of bacteria found in water.
- Simple and easy to use
- Comes with suction cup and hanging S-hook
- Inline water-resistant on/off switch
- Direct USB charge from car, laptop or any outlet
The Pure Clean Portable Shower comes with a built-in pump that can suction water out of any source, may it be a bucket, pool, stream or pond. It is a very compact rinse kit that cleans just about anything when you are on the go.
- Energy and water efficient design
- 100% waterproof
- Includes showerhead, hose, suction cup and hook
- Built-in rechargeable batteries
- Direct USB charge from any outlet
The Ivation 5-Gallon Portable Outdoor Shower outperforms your average portable sprayer because it delivers more than twice the showering capability without sacrificing portability and weight. It can hold up to 5 gallons or almost 20 liters of water for continuous showering and washing. Its clever bag design is perfect for the outdoors because it weighs next to nothing when laid flat and empty, but it can pack a powerful performance even in areas where there is not enough water.
- No batteries or electricity needed
- Can warm water up to 120 °F
- Comes with a removable and flexible hose
- On/off switchable showerhead
- Easy to carry, sleek design
If you want a straightforward portable shower, the Coleman 5-Gallon Solar Shower will suit your needs. It holds enough water for multiple showers and it heats water using solar energy. This is the perfect companion for camping trips and surfing trips, and can also be used for emergency situations when hot water is not readily available.
- Strong handle for hanging
- Easy to pack and carry
- Handy switch connected to the shower head
- Flexible hose
- Can also be used to wash dishes
How do you use a portable shower for surfing?
Most portable showers work via a hand pump. Most units do not require the use of a battery, while some can be recharged via USB.
You can choose to preload the water container or you can simply tap into any water source such as a pool, bucket, stream, river or pond. The average water shower can give you a full shower in just 10 pumps.
How to make a portable shower DIY for surfing or camping?
Having a shower when you’re on the move is handy and it’s even better when you can do it yourself! With just a few simple items available at any Home Depot you can have an easy to pressurize, portable, simple shower to wash yourself. These come in handy when you’re surfing, traveling in a RV and don’t have a large water tank, camping by yourself or with family in tents or even around the home for day to day use.
Watch the video and then follow the instructions below:
- ‘Weed Sprayer’ (Can be bought from ½ gallon to 3-4 gallon. Size is personal preference)
- Sink Sprayer nozzle
- Sink sprayer hose
- ¼ inch brass hose barb (¼ inch barb end to ¼ inch threaded end.)
- Home Depot Parts Numbers List
- Sink sprayer nozzle -part no. 58432
- Sink Sprayer Hose -part no. 58583
- Brass Barbed Fitting 1/4″ ID-1/4″ MIP -part no. LFA-192
- (Weed Sprayer Bottles Vary.)
- Unwrap your hose assembly and your spray nozzle.
- Attach the spray nozzle to the hose if you purchase separately to make one unit of hose and nozzle.
- Unwrap your weed sprayer. (Be sure to cut the weed sprayer nozzle from the hose it comes with if it’s not packaged separately.)
- Attach the factory plastic ‘straw’ to the inside of the factory hose and screw into the weed sprayer bottle.
- Take your ¼ inch barb fitting and push the barbed end firmly into the end of the factory hose until the end of the hose is flush against the fitting.
- Making sure the O-ring is in place on the ¼ inch threaded female end of your sink hose and simply screw the sink sprayer hose onto the fitting placed on the factory hose of the sprayer.
- Check that all of your fitting connections and connections on the weed sprayer are flush and snug.
- Fill your weed sprayer with water, pump it up and enjoy great water pressure, a good stream and the ultimate in portability!